Your Pet Will Thank You!!
We are proud to offer MLS Laser Therapy as an effective, proven, pain free treatment option for our clients who want to ease their pet’s pain and inflammation
Benefits of MLS® Laser Therapy • Relief of chronic pain, such as arthritis • Relief of acute pain, such as trauma or injury • Strong anti-inflammatory effect • Stimulates healing of damaged tissue • Speeds recovery of the structural integrity of injured region • Improvement of local blood circulation • Postoperative pain relief and faster wound healing Please ask us how this innovative therapy can work for your pet’s pain and inflammation.
What is Laser Therapy and how does it work?
Laser therapy is a therapeutic treatment that uses light energy (photons) for tissue healing and pain reduction. The light energy penetrates deeply into damaged cells and stimulates cellular activity. As a result of exposure to the laser, the cells of tendons, ligaments and muscles repair themselves. Light energy enters damaged cells and stimulated inter-cellular activity. This reduces pain in the area and speeds recovery of the damaged cells. Once the cells recover, the healing process is complete.
Effects of Laser Therapy
1) Anti-Inflammation: Laser therapy has an anti-edema effect as it causes vasodilatation, but also because it activates the lymphatic drainage system (drains swollen areas). As a result, there is a reduction in swelling caused by bruising or inflammation.
2) Anti-Pain (Analgesic): Laser therapy has a high beneficial effect on nerve cells which blocks pain transmitted by these cells to the brain and which decreases nerve sensitivity. Also, due to less inflammation, there is less edema and less pain. Another pain blocking mechanism involves the production of high levels of pain killing chemicals such as endorphins and encephalin from the brain and adrenal gland.
3) Accelerated Tissue Repair and Cell Growth: Photons of light from lasers penetrate deeply into tissue and accelerate cellular reproduction and growth. The laser light increases the energy available to the cell so that the cell can take on nutrients faster and get rid of waste products. As a result of exposure to laser light, the cells of tendons, ligaments and muscles are repaired faster.
4) Improved Vascular Activity: Laser light will significantly increase the formation of new capillaries in damaged tissue that speeds up the healing process, closes wounds quickly, and reduces scar tissue. Additional benefits include acceleration of angiogenesis, which causes temporary vasodilatation, an increase in the diameter of blood vessels.
5) Increases Metabolic Activity: Laser therapy creates higher outputs of specific enzymes, greater oxygen and food particle loads for blood cells.
6) Trigger points and Acupuncture Points: Laser therapy stimulates muscle trigger points and acupuncture points on a non-invasive basis providing musculoskeletal pain relief.
7) Reduced Fibrous Tissue Formation: Laser therapy reduces the formation of scar tissue following tissue damage from cuts, scratches, burns or surgery.
8) Improved Nerve Function: Slow recovery of nerve functions in damaged tissue can result in numbness and impaired limbs. Laser light will speed up the process of nerve cell reconnection and increase the amplitude of action potentials to optimize muscle action.
9) Immunoregulation: Laser light has a direct effect on immunity status by stimulation of immunoglobines and lymphocytes. Laser therapy is absorbed by chromophores (molecule enzymes) that react to laser light. The enzyme flavomono-nucleotide is activated and starts the production of ATP (adenosine-tri-phosphate), which is the major carrier of cell energy and the energy source for all chemical reactions in the cells.
10) Faster Wound Healing: Laser light stimulates fibroblast development (fibroblasts are the building blocks of collagen, which is predominant in wound healing) in damaged tissue. Collagen is the essential protein required to replace old tissue or to repair tissue injuries. As a result, laser therapy is effective on open wounds and burns.
What can I expect during a treatment?
MLS Laser Therapy is a painless treatment that lasts seconds to minutes depending on the condition and area being treated. There is no pain, heat, redness or swelling during or after treatment. No fur needs to be clipped to receive treatment.
What can I expect after the treatment?
Most will notice positive results in 1 to 3 treatments, with the average course of treatment being 2 to 10 sessions. Any swelling is greatly reduced and there is a rapid relief of pain. Acute conditions usually subside quickly, typically within one phase of treatments, and chronic conditions can be controlled with regular treatments. The effects of MLS Laser Therapy are cumulative; therefore, expect to see improvement as you proceed through your treatment plan. It is critical that once you start, you complete the course of treatments recommended by your veterinarian or symptoms are likely to reoccur.
How many treatments are usually needed to get results?
Results can often been seen after the first treatment. Most conditions have protocols that range from 2-10 treatments. The treatments are cumulative and are delivered 2-3 times per week for 2-3 weeks.